- My Community Project Privacy Statement
- How we collect your personal information
- Why we collect your personal information
- What type of information is processed/collected
- Who we disclose your personal information to
- Disclosure overseas
- Collection Notice
- Retention of data
- Access to your personal information
- Find out more about privacy
My Community Project Privacy Statement
My Community Project is being delivered by Service NSW in partnership with the Department of Premier and Cabinet.
Service NSW gives priority to protecting the privacy of your personal information. We do this by handling personal information in a responsible manner and in accordance with the NSW Privacy Laws: Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002.
How we collect your personal information
We collect personal information from you to assist with your My Community Project transactions. We may collect information over the phone, over the internet, in person, in writing or if you participate in a customer survey.
Why we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information to enable us to provide the services, including to process transactions; and to send you information about the services offered by other government agencies or partners organisations. You can choose to opt out of receiving this information by calling 13 77 88, emailing email@example.com or going to our privacy section.
What type of information is processed/collected
Service NSW will process/collect your personal data for the My Community Project transaction about:
- Individuals who vote for a community project.
The types of personal information that we collect about you will depend on our relationship with you and the circumstances of the collection. This may include:
- Personal details of a voter in relation to a project including name, date of birth, email address, phone number, postcode, suburb, NSW electorate and Medicare card number (for voting verification purposes).
We only collect such information that is reasonably necessary to deliver and evaluate My Community Project.
We may collect information over the phone, over the internet, in person, in writing or if you participate in a customer survey.
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you or your authorised representative. However, there may be occasions where it is necessary to collect information from a third party. These occasions may include:
- Verification of evidence of identity documents, and sponsor and office bearer details, with the Document Verification Service.
Who we disclose your personal information to
Service NSW will take reasonable security measures to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other misuse.
We may disclose your personal information to other government agencies and partners. Disclosure may also be made to law enforcement, dispute resolution, statutory or regulatory bodies, or as required by law. Service NSW will not transfer your personal data to third parties unless we have your consent and/or are required by law to do so.
Personal information may be used by the Department and Service NSW for the following purposes in relation to My Community Project:
Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Conducting auditing and compliance activities to ensure the financial integrity of My Community Project.
- Contacting voters to invite them to participate in an evaluation of My Community Project (participation in evaluation activities is totally voluntary).
- Contacting voters about future rounds of My Community Project and other grant funding programs of the Department (subject to the relevant individual consenting to such contact).
- Creating and maintaining MyServiceNSW accounts.
- Facilitating voting and confirming voter eligibility.
- Improving the delivery of services so they remain client-focussed.
- Responding to complaints and enquiries in relation to My Community Project.
- Communicating with you as required.
The Department and Service NSW may also share information for the purposes of:
- Providing details of applicants and sponsors, including names.
- Providing details of votes and voters including age of voters, a voter’s residential postcode, suburb, ranked project list for each electorate and total number of votes for each project in a de-identified form.
- Facilitating the creation of MyServiceNSW Accounts.
- Undertaking financial auditing and compliance activity in relation to My Community Project.
- Responding to complaints or enquiries.
Any report or publications on the evaluation of My Community Project will not identify any individual that has participated in My Community Project as an applicant, sponsor or voter.
Personal information will not be disclosed for other purposes unless you give consent, or the disclosure is authorised or required by law – for example if the information is needed in an emergency or for a law enforcement purpose.
Disclosure of personal information
Personal information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with the administration and management of My Community Project, including: the Document Verification Service (managed by the Department Of Home Affairs) for the purposes of verifying identity documents and details about voters.
Your personal information may be disclosed to other partner agencies, which may be located in Australia or have subsidiaries overseas. Any information disclosed may only be used for the purposes of collection detailed above and for system administration.
Service NSW needs to collect your personal information to assess your eligibility to vote in relation to My Community Project. Providing us with the requested information is not required by law. However if you choose not to provide us with the requested information, we cannot process your vote.
In order to ensure the integrity of the voting process and combat fraud or potential gaming of the voting platform, Service NSW will use your Medicare Card details to validate your proof of identity and ensure individuals only vote once during each voting period. Medicare details is not retained after voting period.
We may provide certain information to the Department of Premier and Cabinet for the purposes of data analysis and aggregation so that the Department of Premier and Cabinet can analyse and report, in aggregated form, on voter statistics and projects voted for. This means your vote will remain anonymous.
We may provide certain information to:
- The Department of Premier and Cabinet for the purpose of being contacted about this and future rounds of My Community Project and other grant funding programs of the Department of Premier and Cabinet and in relation to an evaluation of My Community Project.
- The Document Verification Service (managed by the Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs) to confirm your eligibility to vote.
Your personal information will normally be used for the primary reason that it was collected for, or a directly related secondary purpose. It may also be used in an emergency situation to help prevent a serious and imminent threat to life or health, or for law enforcement purposes, or where we are authorised or required to do so by law.
Retention of data
Service NSW is committed to making sure your personal data is secure. Your personal information will be stored securely, not kept longer than necessary and disposed of appropriately.
Access to your personal information
You may ask for access to the personal information we hold about you at any time and request rectification, erasure and restriction of your personal information by calling 13 77 88.
Find out more about privacy
If you are concerned about an alleged breach of privacy law or any other regulation, please contact Service NSW.
For further information about how we protect your privacy, to make a privacy complaint or to seek to amend the personal information we hold about you, please contact:
Information Access Unit
Department of Premier and Cabinet
GPO Box 5341
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Phone: (02) 9228 5871